Friday 4 February 2011

SEEING THINGS AS WE ARE

I've done an essay on artist film and documentary, which you can link to here, for the online magazine APEngine, where it's been paired with a piece by Michael Avatar about his experiences working as an artists' coach with Steve Jackman on his film about the choreographer Jeremy James. I begin with a quote from Robert Creeley, end with one from Anais Nin and discuss films as disparate and excellent as Lucy Walker's Waste Land, my favourite of the films I wrote SIDF catalogue copy for, Clio Barnard's The Arbor, Mary Lance's Agnes Martin: With My Back To The World, and Ed Harris' Pollock. There's even a one-line dissection of the link between Andy Warhol and all of Sam Taylor-Wood. You can also find my bit excerpted at Untitled: Perspectives, here.

No comments :