Wednesday 11 April 2012

HARRY CREWS: THE GUARDIAN OBITUARY

My obituary of the novelist Harry Crews is in today's Guardian online, you can link to it here. Note that the very first line should read 'stretching back to Edgar Allan Poe'; for some reason Poe got omitted. (NOTE: This has been corrected).

Looking at it now, I probably should have mentioned Barry Hannah, another modern Southern gothic novelist and unlikely academic, whose obit I also did for the G just about a year ago (you can read it here).

I might also have tried to stretch the point a bit, and suggest that Crews himself would have made a fine character for Flannery O'Conner novel. The quote from Michael Connelly came from one of my past interviews with him--in an interview he gave for the LA Times obituary he also said the best thing he learned from Crews was that if you were going to be a writer you had to write every day.

No comments :