Tuesday 30 June 2020

BEDTIME STORY: A POEM

I wrote this one in the late summer and early fall of 1975, soon after I'd moved to Montreal. I have a fondness for it, mostly for the darkness underneath its innocence; I have the feeling I was beginning to experience my first real being on my own in a place that was, well, different. It was published in 1977, along with four other of my new poems from a new city and country, in a newspaper format magazine called The Lance, which was published somewhere in Ontario, I think. Return with us now to those stirring days of yesteryear.....



BEDTIME STORY

All the shadows (those
      friendly faces at the top of
      the stairs
      peeking out of the closet
      you’d never dare open
when you were a kid
                          (those
paranoid playmates

had you
whistling
      to yourself
to assure you
you were
      still alive

When you knew all along
deep
       down
                inside
that you shouldn’t
be

scared,
             all
the demons seemed
the same,
                their faces
flew together
like migrating birds

lost &
shrieking
a chorus
 
ended
in silence
echoes 
 
              (those
major themes
of your life.

                     (& still does.

No comments :